The cultural movement in the Sudan has suffered more than half a century of confusion and identify crises. It desperately seeks a modern creative identity in an environment that is entrenched in static traditional perspectives.There is malaise in the body Sudanese arts that hinders its growth and fogs its vision of the future and this has prevented the evolution of art. It is high time that civil society and the government join together hand and hand to build a cultural movement.
Together they can renew Sudanese cultural experience from which a system of evaluation and authenticity can be derived. The arts are an intrinsic part of the current discourse on peace and general humanitarian development for art is a means of expressing the soul of a people.
Goals of the Rashid diab Art Center (RDSC)
1. Development of visual arts and Sudanese understanding of the visual arts.
2. Make formative arts and design accessible to the public and improve their awareness as an audience that receives and preserves Sudanese arts.
3. Introducing exhibitions of the best art the world has to offer and organization of lectures, seminars and conferences about international arts and the state of the art in Sudan.
4. Working for the development of artistic skills in the production of formative art, calligraphic forms and handcrafts of the highest standard.
5. To benefit from the experience of constructing a foundation for Sudanese culture and the advancement of technology in the field of documenting, restoration, printing and publishing in the fine and applied arts.
6. The establishment of a strong link between the different forms of art, working on finding a means of professional balance between formative artists, construction engineers and architects in the presentation of ideas and aesthetic consultations from specialists and those excelling in the field of visual arts and architecture.
7. Encouragement of research projects, studies, training and preparation of fine arts and traditional arts.
8. Participation in the creation of a suitable environment for the creative process by trying to spread awareness of elements governing the relationship between beauty and good taste to the general public.
The Center Consists Of:
1. Open Hall for talented established and young aspiring artists.
2. A studio for etching and printing.
3. Studio for painting and drawing.
4. Pottery and sculpting studios.
5. Lecture and seminar rooms, indoor and outdoor theatre and cinema. Documenting facilities to make record of art work produced by the center.
6. Gallery for formative arts.
7. Gallery for tradition arts.
8. Museum of Sudanese fine arts.
9. Study Hall and library for research and studies.
10. Coffee shop.
11. Administration offices.
12. Residence for artists.
13. Frame making workshop.
All these will be established in different phases.
Phase one: thankfully we have completed the residence complex which is made up of five villas. The cost of this phase is to date is 3 million Sudanese diners. The etching workshop, three administration offices are in those and the garden will be used as an outdoor theatre.
Needs for completion of phase one are:
· Finishing of the interiors.
· Getting necessary equipment and furniture.
Phase two: this second phase will include the construction of a museum, studio, lecture hall, studio for the documentation and cataloguing of art produced by the center.
This phases may be studied and scheduled by consultants i.e. architects, painters, and civil engineers.
The basic aims of the venture are to raise awareness of our cultural heritage, improve upon the state of modern art in Sudan and to show by example the role that a member of civil society can take upon himself for the furthering of a national cause such as development of culture. We at Rashid Diab Art Centre want to attract both national and international donors to complete the initiative that Dr. Rashid Diab has already begun.
Donations from companies, institutes, organization and the private sectors will help us kick start the center activities. Continuity of the centre will be based on the production of art through the teaching workshops and fees collected from training programs and seminars.
Board of Trustees
This board will be comprised of 25 members who are prominent figures in the arts as well as esteemed members of Khartoum society.
Panel of consultants
A panel of consultants will be selected to aid administration of project development and implementation of projects and schemes.